Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Programme: Everyday Italian
470ml, divided into 350ml and 120ml
1 tsp. vanilla essence
1 packet gelatine
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 (340g) bag bittersweet chocolate chips
40g toasted sliced almonds
240ml whipping cream
1 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tbsp. almond liqueur (recommended: Amaretto)
3) Combine the cold milk and gelatine with the hot milk and sugar. Stir to dissolve the gelatine, about 5 minutes. (Heat the milk gently if the gelatin is not dissolving easily.)
4) When the gelatine is dissolved combine the eggs with the warm milk, whisking constantly to avoid scrambling the eggs. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large measuring cup or small pitcher.
5) Meanwhile, melt the chocolate over a double boiler. When the chocolate is melted gradually combine the milk and egg mixture with the melted chocolate, stirring between each addition to create a smooth chocolate mixture.
6) Pour the mixture into a buttered 2-litre casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with the almonds. Place the casserole dish in a larger dish or roasting pan. Add hot water to the outer pan until the water comes halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake until the sides are firm and the center is jiggles slightly, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
7) Just before serving, whip the cream to soft peaks in a medium bowl using a whisk or electric hand mixer. Add the sugar and almond liqueur and whip to combine.
8) Spoon the sformato into individual serving bowls and dollop the top with the almond liqueur whip cream.
foodnetworkasia.com 2013 | foodnetworkasia.com, part of Scripps Networks Interactive