Ingredients Tick boxes to send shopping list to email
For the pastry:
For the custard filling:
For the pastry:
1) Sift the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the salt and butter and rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Beat together the egg yolk and whole egg and slowly add these, mixing until the pastry forms a ball. Wrap tightly in cling film and refrigerate for two hours.
2) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
3) Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 2mm thickness. Use to line a 28cm tart ring placed on a baking sheet. Rest the lined tart ring in the fridge for 20mins.
4) Line the tart ring with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans to keep the base's shape, and bake blind for about 20 minutes. Remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans and return to the oven for 5-8 mins. or until the pastry is starting to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven, brush with egg yolk and allow to cool.
5) Turn the oven down to 130C/Gas 1.
For the filling:
1) Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Add the cream and mix well. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a saucepan.
To make the custard tart:
1) Fill the pastry case with the custard. Carefully place in the middle of the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the custard appears set but not too firm. Remove from the oven and cover the surface liberally with grated nutmeg.
3) Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
Top recipes like this:
What to watch next
Iron Chef America
on StarHub 433 at 00:00