Coq au vin
Ingredients Tick boxes to send shopping list to email
Coq au vin
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2) Place a large pot or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. When the pot is hot, add the butter and olive oil. Place the chicken pieces into the pot, skin side down so that they fit snugly yet have room to colour. Turn them after 2 mins then cook for a further 2 mins on the bottom. Remove the chicken to a plate.
3) Add the bacon and cook until golden. Reduce the heat to medium, add the sliced onion, carrot and celery and cook for 2 mins.
4) Blanch pearl onions in a 6 to 8L pot of boiling water 1 min, then drain in a colander. When onions are cool enough to handle, peel. Set aside.
5) Next deglaze the bottom of the pot with 2 tbsp of brandy. Stir all the ingredients well, lifting the browned bits off the bottom of the pot. While stirring, add the flour and cook for 1 min. (This will create a roux and hold in all the flavours that have been created.)
6) Place the sprigs of thyme, pearl onions and the mushrooms into the pot and give them a stir, then return the chicken to the pot. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 5 mins.
7) Add the red wine and the bay leaves; cover the pot and place into the preheated oven for 1 hr and 30 mins, until the chicken is cooked through and quite tender.
8) Serve straight from the pot with parsnip and turnip mash, if desired.
What to watch next
on StarHub 433 at 08:00